All you need to know about structural steel columns — from your local one-stop structural steel specialist in the Chicago, Il area.
Steel Columns, Learn The Benefits From Structural Beam’s Expert
Structural steel columns are a true backbone of metal frame construction, allowing your home to stand strong and tall. The use of steel columns in your construction project saves a lot of effort, money, and time. There are different types of steel columns, and all have their particular purpose. At Structural Beam, we know all about steel columns. Our expert spells it out for you.
What is a structural steel column?
A column (in engineering ) is a vertical structural member that is subjected to axial compression and serves the function of providing structural support by transferring load from other elements of construction like slabs, beams, and ceiling to the foundation or floor.
A column in architecture can be both structural — serving as a support — and non-structural, or decorative.
Structural steel columns serve both purposes. This versatile and diverse material, widely used in modern construction, both residential and commercial, is a great choice for any project.
Structural Beam got all types of metal columns for your project, ready to be installed by our skilled professionals — call 773-917-8998 and get a quote!
Hollow Structural Sections
Sometimes mistakenly called “Hollow structural steel”, HSS is Hollow Structural Section. We have square columns, rectangular and circular HSS for sale near you, in the Chicago, Il area — give us a call at +1 773-917-8998 for for a free price quote!
Standard hot-rolled steel columns
Most often, structural steel columns are manufactured from H-beams, W-beams, and S-beams, depending on the particular application in your construction project. At Structural Beam, we have all types of metal beams for sale, call 773-917-8998 for a price quote!
Steel pipe columns
Steel pipe columns are most often made of stainless steel. They are usually left unpainted and are polished. Metal pipe columns are mostly used for decorative purposes. They belong to the “exposed structural steel” class.
Concrete-filled steel tube (CFT columns)
Not exactly a steel column, CFT still deserves an honorable mention. CFTs are HSS, filled with concrete. These columns excel when exceptional mechanical properties like increased stiffness and large energy-absorption ability are required for resisting earthquakes. CFT columns also have higher fire resistance.
Built-up steel columns
Structural metal columns can be built up, it’s done when a single-member load-bearing capacity isn’t enough for a particular application. We are ready to advise you on particular steel column requirements for your home construction project, based on IRC building codes. Give us a call today at 773-917-8998 and get a free quote!
How are steel columns manufactured?
- All shapes of HSS — square, rectangular, and round — are manufactured by cold forming and welding
- Standard steel beams are manufactured by hot rolling
- To become structural steel members of a new home construction project, steel beams and HSS need to be fabricated according to particular sizes, etc. Structural Beam does all types of steel fabrication in the Chicago, Il area near you. Call 773-917-8998 today for a free price quote!
- Custom structural steel columns are built up from standard hot rolled beams. Our skilled engineers are ready to advise you on particular steel column requirements for your project, call 773-917-8998 and get a quote!
What are the steel types used in structural steel columns?
- For HSS — it’s either ASTM A500 steel or, from 2013 onwards, A1085 steel.
- For steel beams — it’s normally ASTM A36, a structural durable steel
Advantages of steel column use in construction
- Steel columns are easy to install — unlike concrete or masonry, they save time and money
- Steel columns take up very little space without compromising the stability of the building
- Steel columns allow for easy adjustment of the floor plan, thus extending the lifespan of the building
- Steel columns allow for architects’ freedom of imagination and creative expression
- Aesthetic value — architecturally exposed structural steel is widely used in residential and commercial building projects
- Structural stability — Samson would have never managed to pull his trick if columns in the temple were made of steel (in that story those were stone masonry columns, weren’t they)
Using steel columns has many advantages for your project. Structural Beam is your local one-stop metal columns provider in the Chicago, Il area. If you are looking to buy metal columns, we’ve got all types of steel columns for sale near you, call 773-917-8998 today and get a free quote!
Where to buy steel columns near me in Chicago, Il?
Structural Beams is a local, one-stop structural metal solutions provider in the Chicago, Il area. We’ve got all types of steel columns for sale near you, we do steel column fabrication and column erection as well. Call 773-917-8998 today for a free consultation and a free price quote!
What is the difference between a steel column and a steel beam?
A steel column is a vertical structural member, and the steel beam is a horizontal one. Beams resist bending and transfer the load to columns. Columns, in turn, transfer the load to the floor below or to the foundation, by resisting compression.
How much do steel columns cost?
Steel column is a blanket term, there are different types of columns for sale at Structural Beam, and we do column erection for your home construction. Give us a call at 773-917-8998 today and get a free consultation!