Planning to buy steel plates for your house construction projection in Chicago, Il.? Learn about the benefits of using steel plates, from our experts!
Steel Plates For Better Results, A Great Material To Your Advantage
Steel plates keep a low profile but do a really important job in residential construction. From providing extra traction on the stairs and decks to providing that extra strength to structural steel members, they can benefit your project a lot. Looking to buy steel plates in Chicago, Il? We’ve got them for sale, call your local supplier at 773-917-8998 for a free price estimate!
The steel for the plates
Generally made of hot-rolled ASTM A36 structural steel, the steel plate is a champion of structural steel construction due to its great mechanical properties.
The designation of A36 structural steel by ASTM, the American Society for Testing and Materials, refers to A36 steel as a low carbon structural steel with a yield strength of 36.000 PSI.
A36 is structural steel, designated primarily for its mechanical properties, and not for its chemical composition (even though there is a standard, covering those, too- low carbon content below 1% is very important).
A786 is another common type of structural steel, used for diamond floor steel plate production.
A plate, a sheet, a what?
The difference between a sheet and a plate can appear to be ambiguous since both terms refer to somehow similar structural steel products. However, there’s a difference in production methods and in the resulting thicknesses of the metal products.
Hot rolled steel plate is a piece of flattened hot-rolled A36 steel, that is thicker than 1/4″ (0.250), thickness is measured in inches. It is produced ty consecutive hot rolling of a steel slab.
A hot rolled steel sheet is a piece of thin, flattened, and coiled hot-rolled steel sheet of standards size cut off a sheet coil. You can see how these can be mistaken one for another.
It’s also worth mentioning that structural steel plates come both flat and with raised lug patterns, known as the diamond floor steel plate.
- Steel slabs of standard sizes are fed into the reheating furnaces to achieve optimal rolling temperature
- Reheating of slabs
- Reheated slabs are fed into the mill stands and continuously rolled in several passes to form the plate
- Leveling of the plate in the levelers to achieve exact dimensions of metal product
- Ready rolled low carbon steel plates are cooled at cooling beds
- Non-destructive in-line testing is performed, to assure the mechanical properties and
- The longitudinal edge and ends are trimmed, and the plate is cut to length for the exact size
- The plate is check-tested, accepted, and marked according to standard widths and length.
Benefits of ASTM A36 steel plate use
- affordable price
- high machinability: it allows for easy cutting, drilling, and CNC machining due to the low carbon content
- high tensile strength and yield strength
- ductility, due to lower carbon content, makes it anti-brittle reasonable rust resistance if coated and maintained correctly made A36 steel a true champion of the construction industry.
- reasonable rust-resistance, if maintained properly (modern 4-layer coating solutions provide for extremely long life spans)
- weldable, it’s easy to weld A36 with simple, cheapest welding methods
The structural low carbon steel plate has got many uses in the residential, commercial, and industrial construction industries, to name a few:
- Metal decks: flat plate works great for decks
- Steel floor plate or steel diamond plate with raised lug patterns works great for floors and stairs of metal staircases, like a fire escape staircase, where higher traction is needed for safety
- Column base plates
- Girders are often built up using structural metal plates
- Gusset steel plates are used to join structural steel members like beams and girders, columns, and chords together for that extra structural stability, and as parts of trusses, etc.
The affordable price of the steel plate and the multiple benefits it provides for various structural applications make it a highly desirable and high-demand product. At Structural Beam, you can buy all sizes of hot-rolled steel plates for your house construction and commercial building construction projects, we do the steel plate fabrication as well, call your local, Chicago Il. supplier 773-917-8998 today for all your steel plate needs!
How is steel plates used in construction?
Steel plate is used for the fabrication of custom beams, girders, trusses, for strengthening of connection joints between structural steel members. Diamond floor steel plate is used for decks, floors, and stairs.
In which method steel plate is used?
Steel plate is used in both structural steel-framed constructions and in mixed-media constructions, using concrete. Steel plate is used in both structural steel-framed constructions and in mixed-media constructions, using concrete. At Structural Beam, your local, Chicago, Il. one-stop structural steel solutions company, we are adept at using steel plates in both construction methods, call us today at 773-917-8998 and get a free consultation and a price quote for your steel plate construction project.
What are steel plates made out of?
There are different grades of steel used for steel plate production, the most common is hot-rolled ASTM A36 structural steel. Another type is ASTM A786, used for diamond floor steel plate manufacturing.
Where can I buy steel plates in Chicago, Il?
We’ve got all types of steel plates for sale in Chicago, Il. Call 773-917-8998 to buy steel plates at an attractive price, today!